Children and adults can experience many meaningful learning experiences in lessons and activities as a result of well-planned and organized programming by our wonderful staff , teachers, Christian EducationCommittee members, and volunteers.
Nursery: Infants and children up to age 3 are invited to our nursery on the second floor (ML) during Worship.
- Children and youth meet in the sanctuary and are dismissed from worship service after the Moment with Young Worshipers, for participation in their respective programs.
- The youth participate in REVOLUTION, which meets on Sunday evenings from 6:00 – 8:00 pm. for activities and community volunteering opportunities.
- The Children and Youth Sunday Service in June during worship is a highlight for presenting lessons learned, music and a culmination of the year’s educational growth.
- Children and Youth Christmas Eve Service is enjoyed by many, and always beautifully presented with Scripture and music.
- Vacation Bible School is offered in the month of June, is an another important event. We are one of five downtown churches that supports this program. VBS is hosted at First Presbyterian Church.
- Summer activity trips, mission trips and work camp-community volunteer trips offer a variety of learning experiences for spiritual growth for youth and adult chaperones.
- Fall 2018 Church School registration forms can be downloaded here: Church School 2018 Registration Form
The Church Library, located on the mid-level of the building, has excellent books available for children and adults. A book rack is available in the Gathering Place on Sunday mornings.
Writing as Grief Work
Sponsored by the Health Committee
We gather around poetry in our living faith sanctuary— the ancient scriptural kind and the “Weeldreyeresque” sermon kind. We are renewed and encouraged in our walks through life’s grieving— the loss of vital health, paying jobs, treasured loved ones and relationships, fragile faith, defining roles. We pray, we worship, we potluck, we sojourn; now let’s write together. Inspired by poetry, participants will write and share their own pieces on October Tuesdays at 11:00 am, starting October 2. Our group size is limited. Please contact Jill Barnum at firstname.lastname@example.org to save your seat.
Thursday Morning Women’s Bible Study
Our class for the fall season is based on the Horizon Bible Study, God’s Promise: I Am with You. John Ortberg writes, “The central promise in the Bible is not ‘I will forgive you.’ The most frequent promise is ‘I will be with you.’”
This week we will study Lesson Five: God with Us When We’re Powerless. We meet at 9:30 in Room 301 for coffee, and our study begins at 9:45. Childcare is available in Room 306 with Jamie Tuin. We would love to have you join us!
Make the Road by Walking
(Revised small group schedule)
Two groups in our church are reading Brian McLaren’s book We Make the Road by Walking. It is a very good primer or basic overview of stories and themes in the Bible. The group that meets at noon on Tuesdays in Room 300 has revised their schedule to finish the book much earlier than originally envisioned, by the New Year. A schedule for the coming weeks is listed below. Chapters are short with relevant Bible texts and reflection questions included:
10/16 Ch 5 – 8 Matriarchs / Patriarchs of Faith
10/23 Ch 9 – 13 Exodus and Hebrew History
10/30 Ch 14 – 18 Advent / Christmas
11/6 Ch 19 – 22 Who is Jesus?
11/13 Ch 23 – 26 Getting to Know Jesus
11/20 Ch 27 – 31 Jesus’ Way: The Beatitudes
The Wednesday evening group gathers once a month in people’s homes. Our next meeting will be October 17 at 6:30 p.m. We will be looking at Chapters 3-7. Contact Chrissy for the location. Please contact Seth Weeldreyer or Chrissy Westbury if you would like to join one of the groups, need a copy of the book, or have any other questions. Hope to see you there!